Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyCode

Hello

Just cleaning out some repo and saw this
.1189367561_ScreenShot2023-06-30at3_06_12AM.png.159130c246fcdbcfddb20a8200183e73.png

It's been almost 5-6? years since the first commits to those sources. 
Questions...

1) Game is still profitable?
2) Are there any high quality servers to play (with about 20-70 players). Big servers just do not give the nolstagic "private server vibe"
3) What are you currently working on (development-wise) (very nosy - yes)

kong.png

a2.png

1 hour ago, MonkeyCode said:

Just cleaning out some repo and saw this
.1189367561_ScreenShot2023-06-30at3_06_12AM.png.159130c246fcdbcfddb20a8200183e73.png

It's been almost 5-6? years since the first commits to those sources. 
Questions...

1) Game is still profitable?
2) Are there any high quality servers to play (with about 20-70 players). Big servers just do not give the nolstagic "private server vibe"
3) What are you currently working on (development-wise) (very nosy - yes)

Honestly I just customizing my own private server to play offline alone without intervention with SQL interface as much as possible to feel like I'm actually playing a complete game with it's mall working directly inside the game and able to buy things from the mall without intervention of SQL for its crystal. I know people are making npc to simulate exchanging the said 'crystal item' but it just not feel nostalgic in some sense. Normally I play this just to be in between mainstream game like Dota, PUBG and New World, just to relieve the tension of competing with other player and chill back, Good to see you back here Kong.

From a perspective of a well-formed agile team, where you have to pay each developer individually, the profit margin is minimal based on my experience. Although perhaps I have high expectations and/ or compare to profits you'd typically get by contracting (in that sense it *might* not be worth it).

Currently working on a full remake of the original TOP

Normal rates, ALOT more quests and a few custom maps we busy working on.

Got 2 graphics buddies who are working with me and myself and another coder are adding more items, quests and mobs 

Looking to make a server with a few islands that can cross PVP (work in progress)

Profit-wise, any group formed of 3 or more C++ developers would be better off creating a new IP instead of working on a 20 yo leaked game.
Although it is a great code base to understand more about legacy C++ development.

"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."

- Donald E. Knuth

On 6/30/2023 at 4:25 AM, kyleflow said:

Honestly I just customizing my own private server to play offline alone without intervention with SQL interface as much as possible to feel like I'm actually playing a complete game with it's mall working directly inside the game and able to buy things from the mall without intervention of SQL for its crystal. I know people are making npc to simulate exchanging the said 'crystal item' but it just not feel nostalgic in some sense. Normally I play this just to be in between mainstream game like Dota, PUBG and New World, just to relieve the tension of competing with other player and chill back, Good to see you back here Kong.

Why remove SQL? It’s the persistence layer. Wont be able to save the game state without SQL.

On 6/30/2023 at 8:07 AM, champ said:

From a perspective of a well-formed agile team, where you have to pay each developer individually, the profit margin is minimal based on my experience. Although perhaps I have high expectations and/ or compare to profits you'd typically get by contracting (in that sense it *might* not be worth it).

Yeah, its not cheap to run a team. What does said team consist of? 

On 6/30/2023 at 10:10 AM, SolidusZA said:

Currently working on a full remake of the original TOP

Normal rates, ALOT more quests and a few custom maps we busy working on.

Got 2 graphics buddies who are working with me and myself and another coder are adding more items, quests and mobs 

Looking to make a server with a few islands that can cross PVP (work in progress)

Remake in different engine ?

On 6/30/2023 at 12:44 PM, mkhzaleh said:

for last point i still running my own repos in private development 
some of them here
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbRPcPr1LYBzJdxPzfzeeOw

Good features.

On 7/1/2023 at 5:16 PM, Mdrst said:

Profit-wise, any group formed of 3 or more C++ developers would be better off creating a new IP instead of working on a 20 yo leaked game.
Although it is a great code base to understand more about legacy C++ development.

What is IP? Yes, or even port the game to WebGL and Wasm would be nice! 

Looks like a lot of feature driven development going on. Great.

Questions,

- web technology still stuck at XAMPP / PHP stack? 

kong.png

a2.png

3 hours ago, MonkeyCode said:

Why remove SQL? It’s the persistence layer. Wont be able to save the game state without SQL.

I did not remove SQL. But when I played alone, I don't want to access SQL database to update the crystal when I could get it automatically like the crystal by mobs method. The current issues is that, the GS I have is not compatible to take advantage of that. It just wont work like some other GS. Been trying to figure it out but to no success.

10 hours ago, MonkeyCode said:

Yeah, its not cheap to run a team. What does said team consist of? 

Remake in different engine ?

Good features.

Looks like a lot of feature driven development going on. Great.

Questions,

- web technology still stuck at XAMPP / PHP stack? 

Nothing wrong with the PHP stack 😀

9 hours ago, champ said:

Nothing wrong with the PHP stack 😀

Didnt say there was…? 

But if you want to take it there, sure, everything is wrong when the community uses a xampp/php version from the 2000s. 

just asking if anyones built out complete websites using other stacks… 

Edited by MonkeyCode
  • Haha 1

kong.png

a2.png

21 hours ago, MonkeyCode said:

I mean Intellectual Property. It would be insane if we had a server advertised on Steam, for example.
The game could be heavily expanded and modernized, but without proper licensing it's hard to justify spending lots of development money into it.

Copyright laws should be more lenient with abandonware like ToP where there isn't a clear copyright owner or when it hasn't come forward for like 10 years.
In the internet timeframe,10 years are an age and if no cease-and-desist letters were issued you deserve to lose your rights so that people can pick up where it was left.

"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."

- Donald E. Knuth

2 hours ago, MonkeyCode said:

Didnt say there was…? 

But if you want to take it there, sure, everything is wrong when the community uses a xampp/php version from the 2000s. 

just asking if anyones built out complete websites using other stacks… 

There are a few websites written in django/ flask as far as I’m concerned but the majority are written in php.

this comes with a shortage of web developers I suppose and the primary interest being around backend development within the game source code.