Wilhelm

Doubts about big map development. Pro help required.

Hello fellow comrades, I hope you can enlighten me about some of my doubts. The situation is the following:

Let's suppose one wants to create a big map, let's say 3072x3072 (about 75% the size of Ascaron/DB/MO). This map would contain three big islands, three main cities and a few other small isles (basically a shrunken version of MO, DB and Ascaron in one map). I know it would take a hell lot of work and time, but we're just supposing here, right? Well... Here's the doubt: Is there any max number of objects that one can fit in a custom map? Is the size of the map's file something to worry about? Or could there be any other complications in the process and after it?

One simply could make three different maps (regions) to make it easier, but that's not the point here.

I'm making these questions because in one of my older maps I had some issues with placing objects. The case was the following:

I had made a map with dimensions of 2048x2048, It had  5 isles, check them bellow:

Spoiler

bigmap_zpsyrexsbwx.jpg~original

I had completed placing objects in Druantia Grove, Hrólfrhold, and Tortuga Loch. When I started placing them in Beolfag Mines, they used to disappear as soon as I left the screen, and a message error appeared (I won't remember its content since it's been 2 years). In that time the problem seemed to occur only bellow a "x" line tho, so I had discarded the possibility of being a problem related to a max number of objects allowed in a map. 

I hope you guys can enlighten me more about my concerns. And I wish all a great weekend. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Wilhelm
  • Like 1

I was working on a map with a size of 4000x4000 (or something around that). I designed it for one Russian server. So, after I've finished couple cities I had to stop the project, because after some simple calculations we came into conclusion that such big map is inoperable, since it would take up too many resources (talking about cpu and server resources themselves: mobs, npcs and players). Objects has never been a problem really, as far as I know there is no limit as long as you can do some patches (tweaks) on editor side. 

33 minutes ago, Wilhelm said:

Reveal hidden contents

bigmap_zpsyrexsbwx.jpg~original

I had completed placing objects in Druantia Grove, Hrólfrhold, and Tortuga Loch. When I started placing them in Beolfag Mines, they used to disappear as soon as I left the screen, and a message error appeared (I won't remember its content since it's been 2 years). In that time the problem seemed to occur only bellow a "x" line tho, so I had discarded the possibility of being a problem related to a max number of objects allowed in a map. 

I don't know if this has much relation but have you problems placing item with no camera tweaks ?

kong.png

a2.png

1 hour ago, KONG said:

I don't know if this has much relation but have you problems placing item with no camera tweaks ?

I'm aware that sometimes camera tweaks may cause some issues while editing the map, but that wasn't the case. 

1 hour ago, V1tor said:

because after some simple calculations we came into conclusion that such big map is inoperable

Hum... that was what I suspected. Based on your calculations, would you know what are the maximum "workable" dimensions of a custom map (or approximately)?  

8 hours ago, Wilhelm said:

I'm aware that sometimes camera tweaks may cause some issues while editing the map, but that wasn't the case. 

Hum... that was what I suspected. Based on your calculations, would you know what are the maximum "workable" dimensions of a custom map (or approximately)?  

Honestly I'm not quite sure... @V3ct0r

If i remember it correctly its divisible by 8. Maybe if u're trying to go over MO, DB, Ascaron city map size, then maybe test some workable map size before u decide to place object and enhance the map. Otherwise, maybe try stay like MO, DB, Ascaron city map size.

11 hours ago, DangThao said:

If i remember it correctly its divisible by 8

I'm aware of that.

11 hours ago, DangThao said:

Maybe if u're trying to go over MO, DB, Ascaron city map size, then maybe test some workable map size before u decide to place object and enhance the map. Otherwise, maybe try stay like MO, DB, Ascaron city map size.

MO, DB and Ascaron are around 4096x4096. As stated by V1tor, these dimensions make a custom map inoperable, which is expected. 

On 7/16/2016 at 4:35 AM, V1tor said:

Honestly I'm not quite sure... @V3ct0r

Well, it's something hard to tell indeed.Anyway, I appreciate your help, it was very useful. 

I'll run some tests and try to replicate the errors from 2 years ago.  Thanks!

В 16.07.2016 в 00:09, V1tor сказал:

I was working on a map with a size of 4000x4000 (or something around that). I designed it for one Russian server. So, after I've finished couple cities I had to stop the project, because after some simple calculations we came into conclusion that such big map is inoperable, since it would take up too many resources (talking about cpu and server resources themselves: mobs, npcs and players). Objects has never been a problem really, as far as I know there is no limit as long as you can do some patches (tweaks) on editor side. 

I think it will be OK if most of map is sea as on @Wilhelm's picture

Hum... In that image the map was slightly smaller than what I've been planning on my mind. Check this out @V3ct0r:

Spoiler

Project-3072x3072_zpsrplqylwn.png

Do you think this could work, in terms of resources, in a map with dimensions of 3072x3072? 

@Wilhelm

Yes, why not. garner, magicsea and darkblue work

• Like 1