Sign in to follow this  
Studweiser21

Let's build something

Hi all,

First off, thanks for even checking out this post. I'm hoping beyond hope that I get some hits back on this. A bit about me: I'm an adult (30+) looking to make my 3rd server. My first two were many years ago (Twilight Sea Online and Immortal Sea Online). Both held their own for about 6-10 months. They would be considered medium/hard difficulty. My wife and I were extremely active GMs, but due to duping and general lack of understanding at the time, we had to shut down. 

I'm hoping to start something new after trying SO many of the new servers. I have lots of ideas and thoughts, and can execute most of them, but for what I can't, I'm hoping for experienced players and scripters who LOVE this game. 

I'll be buying/building a desktop to run it at my house and if it gains enough traction, I am able to possible run it off of a dedicated off site server out of my own pocket. 

My ideal candidates are mature, easy to get along with, and excited about a new project that I hope re-defines what we all want in our gaming experiences. So if you think this might be for you, then message me! Share a story of your best TOP moment, or the biggest success or failure. Lets bond over why we are all here, and see if we can make something awesome. 

Oh, and if anyone has any public questions they think would be best a part of this topic, please ask too. 

Thanks all for reading!

TL;DR (An entirely too positive person, hoping to find like minded individuals to build ANOTHER TOP server *gasp*)

• Like 4

Hello there!

I can give you a hand in my free time (which isnt really much ). 

I mean, I can't jump into fully develop a server, but for some particular scripts or ideas I could try.

If you're interested contact me on discord: seba.zae#4193

Edited by iZae

Why are you buying a desktop just for a server? Get a vps instead, then scale with a dedicated.

Unless the desktop will be used for other purposes, its fine then.

fa806971ebc265ed5ebee27896f16509.png

Last ones I used a dedicated machine. Is there some benefit to using a VPS? I guess I'm not entirely sure of the difference. I just assumed owned hardware where I could customize the settings and check it at my physical location was the best/only option. 

It is about the cost. To set up a dedicated machine it will cost you around 500$ ( For above average hardware )

But with a vps, you only  pay only a fraction of the cost and then you can scale when you have more players.

48 minutes ago, Riizq said:

It is about the cost. To set up a dedicated machine it will cost you around 500$ ( For above average hardware )

But with a vps, you only  pay only a fraction of the cost and then you can scale when you have more players.

Dedicated Servers prices are quite cheap on Ovh,100$ should get you a nice one (32GB Ram +)

Edited by Sk3let0n

Good to know for next time. Right now, I'm set up with a 8 core, 32gb ram. I just want to avoid any bottlenecks for the end user as much as I can. I figure then the only issue might be read/write speed then internet speeds. 

Thank you all for the support already. Its been enlightening. =)

You don't have to  necessarily spend 100$ in the beginning. How do you expect to get users to play on your server?

You will have to do adcampaigns on facebook and do forum posts here and there. So instead of blowing 100$ on the server why not break it down.

Like 30% for the server, 30% advertising, 20% maintenance, and the rest 20% save it for future use.

I know 100$ would be nothing to you, you must be earning good, and you want to provide the best server for people to play on. But how do you expect to get players? You will not miraculously get 300-500 players. 

It's a waste to spend 100$ since the very beginning @Studweiser21,why would you spend 100$ on something you're not yet sure of its success neither have completed it,just get a 13GB ram VPS and start your server,if it grows,invest more on it.No point on spending that money since the start,it will be a huge loss if you don't success your business.

I just figured with the server I'd have a physical asset if it failed (to which I could resell if need be). I don't have a clear timeline yet on deployment so starting a monthly cost before I get clear on the goals and hopefully team members seemed like a tough choice either way. At least this way would allow me to see what has been successful and make full use of the supporters on PKODev. 

I imagine if I'm ever in the 300-500 player range, then a VPS would be my go to choice, but until then, this progression seems the most logical to me. 

Hello. Almost all new administrator think that way, (e.g. Why spend a few hundred monthly when I can use that money elsewhere...)

It is a rookie mistake, here's why:

- your ip always change.

- your pc gets compromise, exposing more sensitive data than it should

- downtime of server will be noticeable. 

- Maybe electricity bill will raise

- Do you really want to sleep at night knowing that your pc is vulnerable? (maybe I'm just more sensitive on my pc), but just because you do not know areas that are exploitable does not mean they are not present. 

- you're limiting your server the ability to grow.

• Like 3

kong.png

a2.png

Hi Kong,

Given that the machine is a dedicated machine, and behind a secondary router that has no connection to my personal machines, I'm not worried about privacy attacks on it. The machine was a clean install, with nothing but the server files being added.

As far as IP changing, I know that you can use websites to direct your traffic to your ever changing IP. I can't speak for downtime as I haven't had a server operational in years, but I do know that I was able to keep it running upwards of 99% of the time. 

To any future players who might end up playing my server some day, I will say I'm inexperienced. I've already admitted to that. That is why I'm here, asking everyone who will listen for advice, guidance and help building something that doesn't feel inexperienced. In terms of investing, I'm happy to buy scripts, security features and anything else the server needs, and if by some chance my server became something like a ROSO size server, then yes, I'd move it to an offsite server.

I guess I struggle because I don't see this as a business but as an opportunity to give back to the community which has given me years of valued entertainment. A business would have a clear, definitive line and intent to make money, where I don't. I just assumed any profits made from an item mall would go into the server, whether that is increased internet speeds, a VPS, scripts, and other developments. 

Please don't take any offense to my response, I'm simply presenting my side and my understanding which is based off of two previous servers I ran. I could very well come back to you in a few months and say "Kong, you were right".

And thank you for taking your time to discuss these valid points. Maybe this topic will help other new admins figure out the best course of action for their servers as well. =)

• Like 2