Sign in to follow this  
anexoticllama

Maps per GameServer instance

As far as I understand, it is good practice to run multiple instances of GameServer, each with their own set of maps, to allow for better utilization of multiple cpu threads. My question, then, is in what way would you suggest I divide maps up? I'm currently using base 1.38 files, so the list is:

- Garner

- Magic Sea

- Deep Blue

- FC (1/2/3)

- DS

- DW (1/2)

- LT

- CA

- Abba

- Treasure Gulf

- Bar

- Mirages

- Others? (Church, xmas, guild war, others I'm forgetting)

I read, that because garner was a big map, it should run alone. I've been doing some trial and error configuration and loaded it with max 6 more instances, like demonic world and such, in my case im doing the contrary, how many instances can i load at the same time with only one window of game server

The 3 major maps should not be run with one another in one instance, while you can do so, it's not recommended.
Running multiple GameServers allows scaling but it comes with it's cost, the infamous Dupe bug and that happens due to unsynchronized writes to the inventory/bank/temp bag(s) between two GameServers Example: Moving from 'garner' (Argent City) that runs on GameServer "A" to 'magicsea' (Shaitan City) that runs on GameSever "B" involves moving character's data to the new GameServer A -> B ; So you'll need a good AntiDupe. LUA solutions mitigate this but it can never prevent it entirely, A sudden restart/crash might result in duplicated items or roll backs.

Edited by AlGhoul
  • Like 1

Kind regards, AG.

Since the game logic is single-threaded, dividing the maps into separated processes can help balancing the load, but as AlGhoul said, there are dupe issues.
A feasible fix is porting the server side to a 64-bit architecture and instead of having a loop iterating over all maps, you would simply spawn a thread to run each one in parallel (AFAIK there are few resources being shared between maps during a tick, so no synchronization nightmares here).

"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."

- Donald E. Knuth