Sign in to follow this  
superNL

Client won't connect to host, "connection failed" using VPS service from Contabo

Hello community of PKODEV,

Like the title says, When I try to log (externally) in the game client I will get the message "connection failed"

2016-09-07 17_04_34-Eternal Pirates Online.png

- Like the title says I'm using the vps service from Contabo, I don't have any experience with their services but I've read at a forum all ports should be opened, correct me if I'm wrong.

- I already searched on this forum and came across this post in a similar thread, I've followed the instructions and opened port 1973 and 1971 in my inbound rules from Windows Firewall.

- Like I said I'm hosting a VPS service, I used as IP-adresse in my config files( account, game, gate and groupserver.cfg) the same IP-adress as I log in with MSTSC(remote desktop), I dubble check it with cmd --> ipconfig.

2016-09-07 17_18_32-178.238.224.121 - Verbinding met extern bureaublad.png

and here is my gateserver config file(if other needed as well just ask):

Spoiler

[Main]
Name = PKO138
Version = 136

[GroupServer]
IP = 178.238.224.121	// IP Address
Port = 1975
EnablePing = 180

[ToClient]
Port = 1973	
CommEncrypt = 0
EnablePing = 60	
MaxConnection = 1000		

[ToGameServer]
Port = 1971
EnablePing = 180

[ShowRange]
ShowMin = 500
ShowMax = 800
IsUse = 1

I hope this will be enough information and hope that someone had got the same problem and know how to fix it.

PS: keep up the good work in this forum, I think it's the number one place for PKO/TOP development & sorry for bad English.

Edited by superNL

thanks for your reply:

*Like I said all ports should be opened according to this message, but it's a message from 2013, don't know if they still have the same policies. I don't know if there are any other members who are using the services from Contabo who can validate this for me or recommend any programs to check it manually?

* I've put 0.0.0.0 as IP in [ToClient] from gameserver.cfg and changed the IP in all the other cfgs to 127.0.0.1 still same problem. (and I would love to access my server externally, Than I need to use ipv4 adresse right?)

1 hour ago, superNL said:

thanks for your reply:

*Like I said all ports should be opened according to this message, but it's a message from 2013, don't know if they still have the same policies. I don't know if there are any other members who are using the services from Contabo who can validate this for me or recommend any programs to check it manually?

* I've put 0.0.0.0 as IP in [ToClient] from gameserver.cfg and changed the IP in all the other cfgs to 127.0.0.1 still same problem. (and I would love to access my server externally, Than I need to use ipv4 adresse right?)

nope use your external ip

take it from canyouseeme.org

Thanks for reply again, So I've visited canyouseeme.org and there was the same IP I used in the first setup, I replaced it all back but still does not work. Contacted Contabo and they confirmed that all of the ports are opened. Any suggestions left?

did you created a new rule on windows firewall? 
if not. go make. 

search: "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" 
A New Window will open...
Click the Inbound in the left side of the window.
Click New Rule... (A new Window will appear)
Click Port.. and Enter 1973 in the blank then next..
Allow the connection Next
Next..
Put any name or description whatever...
then finish. after that try to connect if its gonna work.

Cause sometimes whenever other company says that the VPS/Dedi Server is open port. you still have to Create a new rule for that.

Hit Like If You Like It!

Tekken-7.jpg

@superNL try to replace your game.exe with a clean one.

Edited by Shako

logo-big.png   logo.png

Sunny Go! Online                                                                    pko.host                                                 

Thanks for all your help, unfortunately still the same problem apears.

14 hours ago, Treuno86 said:

did you created a new rule on windows firewall? 
if not. go make. 

search: "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" 
A New Window will open...
Click the Inbound in the left side of the window.
Click New Rule... (A new Window will appear)
Click Port.. and Enter 1973 in the blank then next..
Allow the connection Next
Next..
Put any name or description whatever...
then finish. after that try to connect if its gonna work.

Cause sometimes whenever other company says that the VPS/Dedi Server is open port. you still have to Create a new rule for that.

I already did what you suggested, see picture below for proof:

2016-09-08 18_20_14-178.238.224.121 - Verbinding met extern bureaublad.png

Also I tried if my ports are really opened with a simple port listener tool, port 1973 is opened:

2016-09-08 18_24_37-178.238.224.121 - Verbinding met extern bureaublad.png

13 hours ago, Shako said:

@superNL try to replace your game.exe with a clean one.

I'm using customized server files, a clean client.exe won't work and will directly shutdown.

Any other suggestions maybe?

Edited by superNL

Maybe your game.exe uses different port to connect to the server. You can use packet analyzer software to find out to what port it is trying to connect.

In firewall you only have to allow port 1973, you should close 1975 and 1971.

2 hours ago, Wrexor said:

Maybe your game.exe uses different port to connect to the server. You can use packet analyzer software to find out to what port it is trying to connect.

In firewall you only have to allow port 1973, you should close 1975 and 1971.

Thanks for replying,

I've used WireShark to capture my packets when logging in, however it did not log any connection as destination IP my VPS IP. However if I try to use wiresark when logging in on an other private server it will show the IP adres and port number. I don't know with what kinda settings I can still capture lost packets  in wireshark.(maybe my fault:$)

Thanks for reminding me for firewall, closed the other ones.

Did you try to setup a local server? Did it connect fine?

How did you set ip of server in client serverset?

You can try to use WpePro to capture only packets send from game.exe which may provide better information than wireshark.

Really thank for all the help guys, problem is fixxed. A little problem with patching client, needed to path ServerSet.bin as well.!

Edited by superNL

On 6/30/2022 at 2:25 PM, pirate1 said:

can you tell me how you fixied the problem

@superNL has not visited us for a long time, the probability that he will answer is very small