willewallo

¿what you need to know to sart programming?

hi, wille here, i been learning a lot here  this forum is awesome, unfortunately i don't notting about it coding, my question here is ¿what you need to know, wich programs, whats the basics knolewege to be aviable to modify your game by yourself?

Hello There!

Just a brief summary: ToP is originally coded in C++ (Source code is available in this forum) and Lua. It uses SQL database. Most PKOsites are coded in PHP. 

It's really up to you where you'll want to guide your learning path, but as a personal suggestion, start learning LUA  (https://www.lua.org/docs.html). Most ingame scripts are coded in LUA (NPCs, Missions, Item Effects, Attributes, Skills, even the AI; and also, most of the releases of this forum are for those kind of scripts).

You could also learn a bit about SQL (mainly UPDATE, INSERT and basic Queries) 'cause you can find here an awesome extension called LuaSql, which allows you to play with your database from ingame events.

Once you're familiar with it's language, and you feel like you can pretty much do everything you want to in LUA (a good way to prove you're confident enough is to understand advanced pkodev extensions - such as Hooks, Serialize, AntiDupes, AI Behaviours - ), you can dive into C++ learning to making your own extensions, or edits on the source code. This is really advanced shit, it'll take you some time to get familiar with LUA first.

Use PkoDev Search Engine, Guides Section, Releases Section, Lua docs, Google and Youtube. You can do it ☺

--Edit:

Forgot to say, despite all the information you can get from the internet, the greatest way of learning is by Doing. 

Install Basic Server Files, Get to make it run just for you or few friends, and start doing!

Start by making an Npc, then a mission, then an usable item, and so on. From basic to advanced, just the same as learning anything else.

Edited by iZae
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, iZae said:

Hello There!

Just a brief summary: ToP is originally coded in C++ (Source code is available in this forum) and Lua. It uses SQL database. Most PKOsites are coded in PHP. 

It's really up to you where you'll want to guide your learning path, but as a personal suggestion, start learning LUA  (https://www.lua.org/docs.html). Most ingame scripts are coded in LUA (NPCs, Missions, Item Effects, Attributes, Skills, even the AI; and also, most of the releases of this forum are for those kind of scripts).

You could also learn a bit about SQL (mainly UPDATE, INSERT and basic Queries) 'cause you can find here an awesome extension called LuaSql, which allows you to play with your database from ingame events.

Once you're familiar with it's language, and you feel like you can pretty much do everything you want to in LUA (a good way to prove you're confident enough is to understand advanced pkodev extensions - such as Hooks, Serialize, AntiDupes, AI Behaviours - ), you can dive into C++ learning to making your own extensions, or edits on the source code. This is really advanced shit, it'll take you some time to get familiar with LUA first.

Use PkoDev Search Engine, Guides Section, Releases Section, Lua docs, Google and Youtube. You can do it ☺

--Edit:

Forgot to say, despite all the information you can get from the internet, the greatest way of learning is by Doing. 

Install Basic Server Files, Get to make it run just for you or few friends, and start doing!

Start by making an Npc, then a mission, then an usable item, and so on. From basic to advanced, just the same as learning anything else.

thank you so much this is exactly what i was needing, this should be aviable for everyone to see if they wanna start their own server and don't know anything about coding, thank you so much.

3 hours ago, willewallo said:

thank you so much this is exactly what i was needing, this should be aviable for everyone to see if they wanna start their own server and don't know anything about coding, thank you so much.

The issue is that people want to open a public server right away. When a problem arises they come here looking for people to fix it for them. They want a fix and want it fast, instead of trying to learn by looking at the piece of code they installed not knowing how it works. 

Theres plenty of guides here about a lot of stuff. Want to host a local server? Create an account? Create a quest? New items? There’s a guide for all of that and more. You just need to have the initiative and look for the stuff you want to learn. 

3 hours ago, Angelix said:

The issue is that people want to open a public server right away. When a problem arises they come here looking for people to fix it for them. They want a fix and want it fast, instead of trying to learn by looking at the piece of code they installed not knowing how it works. 

Theres plenty of guides here about a lot of stuff. Want to host a local server? Create an account? Create a quest? New items? There’s a guide for all of that and more. You just need to have the initiative and look for the stuff you want to learn. 

i mean i did, but in other to understand must of the stuff  in the guides specualy fixing bugs and creating new things you need to learn, so.. that's why i ask what i need to learn.