Simon

1.38 Version Base Files Development

Hi everyone,I'm starting up a PKO Clean Base files polished,cleaned & including custom add-ons(AntiDupe - Cloaks - Some of ToP2 Features)

Things that will be used:

-1.38 Base Files [Thanks to V3ct0r for the release]

-Cleaning & polishing.

Release:Will be released to public,no custom executable/client mods will be available,strictly the server files and a little patch if needed)

Open for suggestions/contributions,will credit in case of a help.

Thanks,have a nice day!

Edited by Sk3let0n
  • Like 1

Good luck @Sk3let0n!

Keep us updated on the progress

• Like 1

@Sk3let0n,

I know you have good intentions of expanding KOP development, but this is not the approach you seek of.

It is best if you have separate modules/patches (documenting what each does, and how to use it. - add versions accordingly)

and have links to them.

Reasons:
- if a code breaks, it is easier to detect where and which package it came from.
- it is easier to maintain independent codes

- You're visions of a good base file may differ from others. (Good example: I prefer to avoid cloaks in 1.3x files, or I already have a good antidupe thus I wont be downloading the "Antidupe package")
- Releasing the file as a whole is bad. (perhaps some evil-doers will plant some bad codes in the files. - no one has enough time to go though each line individually)
- Modules/packages can be uploaded by different authors, whilst 1 base file is a bit hard to manage between multi-devs.

- Even a repository here is a better option.
- Have some mods in the forum do code-review before establishing module/packages. For code quality/performance/documentation.
- Once a rule is set to how developers can set up their own individual modules. (naming conventions / tabs or whitespace / usage of hooks / lua verions / documentation format), people can start contributing.
- Then again, source is available, yet I have not seen too many individuals working on it, but they still continue to re-work things that have already been done, it makes me wonder if this is a step backward...? And I have only seen 1 (2 max?) people ask: "How to compile the source?", is this because everyone has already got it working, or does ego play a role, that is - "If I ask then i will look silly"? Because I am willing to help, but according to the statistics of the forum, everyone has it compiled and working already. 

And if you were to move this project to a bigger level. instead of old lua modification everytime, set up that package/module (discussed above) for source, and I can guarantee you, people will contribute and the expanding of KOP development you seek of will be a reality. 

• Like 7

kong.png

a2.png

5 hours ago, V3ct0r said:

Good luck @Sk3let0n!

Keep us updated on the progress

Will do.Will start as fast as I finish the final term exams.

Hi @KONG,your suggestions and reviews are appreciated and will hopefully try to do something better instead of the old LUA codes,just a question,is it possible to move everything from LUA to C++?This would make KOP development going to a bigger level and so will make PKO to have many new systems.Also once again,thank you,the stuff you said are really so much appreciated.

@Sk3let0n

I guess it would be possible to move everything from LUA to C++, but why would you?
It would be time consuming and I'm thinking that it would also make everything a lot harder to make changes to, especially since you would have to recompile source.

By embedding LUA in the server/game executables you can add/remove content without having to recompile your executables.

At client you can see the convenient use of LUA, making UI very customizable,

As for server, take a look inside  /resource/script/ folder.

LUA is there for a good reason.

• Like 1

Why would one want to move it to c++? Those are 2 different things, a programming language and a scripting one. That's the concept of pretty much how every other game works. (Allods, Crysis, Far Cry - for instance).

49 minutes ago, wowo said:

Why would one want to move it to c++? Those are 2 different things, a programming language and a scripting one. That's the concept of pretty much how every other game works. (Allods, Crysis, Far Cry - for instance).

And in my opinion a game should be made like that but since everything is implemented mostly in LUA then there's no clue to re do everything and it's like creating your own game from scratch.