Sign in to follow this  
Maximilian

Moderation?

I hope not to come out as too harsh , however does this forum have actual moderation?

I continually see one word posts , balantly offensive retorts/statements , the and some casual hatespeech / ableism .

I am worried that it drives away the more polite of people , given that not everybody is peachy to be innundated of toxic comments if s/he dares to offer something.

If the answer is negative , may I ask why it's the case?

TL;DR : Imho the forum is a dump , we need the Hammer and Purges 

Well , that's a part of my point.

The lack of rules is the majority of the problem ; I indeed suggest the creation of general forum rules ,at least covering the basics (spam/hatespeech etc), I obviously agree that enforcement shouldn't become retroactive.

However the quality of the community would improve once rules are in place , in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Maximilian said:

Well , that's a part of my point.

The lack of rules is the majority of the problem ; I indeed suggest the creation of general forum rules ,at least covering the basics (spam/hatespeech etc), I obviously agree that enforcement shouldn't become retroactive.

However the quality of the community would improve once rules are in place , in my opinion.

There's already rules which aren't "set in stone", basically behavior which is considered rational - which people don't follow, as you yourself said.

Taking that into account, why would they follow rules which are written somewhere, unless they are enforced? - and they shouldn't be because it's in no-one's interest for this already small community to lose members.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Leba said:

Taking that into account, why would they follow rules which are written somewhere, unless they are enforced?

Pressure , the existence of commonly agreed upon rules even with a lack of strict enforcement could drastically lower the ammount of rule-breaking, simply because of peer pressure.

53 minutes ago, Leba said:

and they shouldn't be because it's in no-one's interest for this already small community to lose members.

However that could lead to a loss of potential new membership , or people who avoid partecipating because they don't like the forum envoirment.

I think that a relaxed form of enforcement , bans no longer than three days , no permas being more than acceptable for a small community.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Maximilian said:

Pressure , the existence of commonly agreed upon rules even with a lack of strict enforcement could drastically lower the ammount of rule-breaking, simply because of peer pressure.

Those rules with "a lack of strict enforcement" as you call them already do exist, I'm sure everyone here knows what acceptable behavior on Forums or in communities like this in general is, yet they break them for whatever reason. The only difference would be that they would now have a written form.

I'm pretty sure the people breaking them don't really care about peer pressure and are generally negatively perceived by others, another reason why they wouldn't care. Though, that's just my take on it, not trying to state "facts", just my opinion...

However that could lead to a loss of potential new membership , or people who avoid partecipating because they don't like the forum envoirment.

This forum is solely here for "ToP people", generally people who played ToP, in other words, people who are used to this kind of behavior. The only non-ToP related sections I see here are Programming, Web and maybe Off-Topic. All sections which are a bit lackluster and nobody would join this forum solely for either of those sections.

What I'm trying to say here (sorry for the lack of coherence) is that people who mainly browse this forum - Players, Developers and Developers-in-the-making don't pay too much attention to the rules being broken which you mentioned. Again, more of my personal opinion/observation.

Let's not forget how lots of people (from what I've seen) can't speak English all too well, so not only do they care, they can't really follow the rules if they don't fully understand them...

I think that a relaxed form of enforcement , bans no longer than three days , no permas being more than acceptable for a small community.

I doubt this forum's that active that an up-to-3-day absence would cause a lot of mischief and get people to "reform" and stop breaking the rules. Other than that... alt accounts do exist.

Being someone that likes rules and having everything written out, I do agree with you, you can't go wrong with rules, but it's the enforcing part that I don't agree on. I doubt a lot of positive changes would be seen if people would get warnings or temporary bans for breaking some minor/moderate rules (I'm pretty sure senseless and seriously hateful posts/members get taken care of here; I've seen one situation where a Mod(?) reacted to a member trashing on someone else's post).

And rules just for the sake of being there are obsolete and a waste of time in my opinion...

Edited by Leba
Typo
  • Like 2

I think the point is somewhat mentioned but lost at the same time.

The aim of the enforced forum rules would guide threads and topics to be made in the right sections, written in a 'clearer' way than what we have at the moment. A lot of flaming and useless spam is allowed which shouldn't be. Makes the entire forum look like it's abandoned and is just grasping onto thin air, which is exactly the state of PKO's existence at the moment. 

Forum rules should never look at how to get rid of users, rather, look at how to enforce policies so that there is a sense of 'tidyness' on the forum, rather than a pile of mess.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gamez Pirates said:

look at how to enforce policies so that there is a sense of 'tidyness' on the forum, rather than a pile of mess.

Thank you , that's precisely what I wanted to convey .

Hello @Maximilian!

You can always make a report or ask Moderators / Community members if you see any inadmissible messages. I didn't write rules because there is no sense, IMHO. It is clear and without rules that we need behave yourself well and culturally, do not swear and use strong language, respect other forum participants, do not flood and spam. Who wants break rules, he will do it. No matter if forum has rules.

• Like 1