Sign in to follow this  
Rinor

RPG Game

Im interested on making a RPG Game 3D a whole new one. ( PC or Mobile )
So im here to ask anyone who knows these things very good..
Which is the languages i should use to create a rpg game? can anyone list them below? Thanks

Possible but it begs the question.
Is it worth prioritize over already known bug and does whoever that want to do this have the skill set and knowledge to do so.

For original topic: c++ is the preferred language due to  performance and already existing libraries and tools. There is c# also which is the scripting engine of unity.

• Like 2

kong.png

a2.png

If you seek better graphics - go for c++ (unreal engine/ source/ cry engine/ ...), otherwise try to mess around with Unity 3D engine in C#. Should be many more but you might want to google that on your own. Good luck!

Unity, Unreal, etc are only game engines... and Games do not require these things.
Game Engines just makes coding faster, recycle/reuse functions, a layout per se...
So yes, it is possible.

I suggest working on a 2D platformer first... not because i don't believe in you,

but this is clearly a scenario where a kid is convince he can tame a pack of wild lions in the jungle.

Few things you might want to research on:

[t]hreads and [T]hreads

Concurrency

Windows Programming

The syntax of the language you are choosing

IDEs

existing librarys

Rendition

static and dynamic libraries

embedding scripting engine(s)

Debuggers

and so, the list continues forever, because researching one thing will result in having to result 3-5 sub-area of the said topic.

kong.png

a2.png

Hello @Rinor

Game Design  : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_design

Game Engines : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines ( it has not the full list, but would helps anyways ).

First of all, an small suggestion, if you are planning to code it at first, that is the wrong way, there should be always at least a pre-design ( unless you want to create a crap-game/dummy ). Write a document using all these incoherences that comes to your mind ( this gonna be a game, shouldn't have anything to do with the *real world* ).

Your team (if any, and recommended for any kind of game development) requires to have an idea of what are you trying to create without having to be asking every 5 seconds.

Choosing a Game Engine ( if so ), read the documents that each one has, each game engine is just different, not better than others.

For example, if you want to create an MMORPG, and the game engine of your choice is UE4(Unreal Engine 4),

then you will end up rewriting a whole networking subsystem for your client and servers.

( you can't use the one that is already build-in for FPS/RTS games, would be a waste of resources ).

On 03/02/2017 at 7:40 PM, Rinor said:

Which is the languages i should use to create a rpg game?

This is also part of your game engine ( if you gonna use any of them ), otherwise go ahead and reinvent the wheel.

Game Engines that I already used ( As Programmer/Developer ) that I can recommend you right now:

Defold ( 2D )

Cocos2d-x ( 2D )

GameMaker Studio ( 2D )

Oxygine ( 2D )

Unity (2D - 3D)

Unreal Engine (2D - 3D)

On 04/02/2017 at 9:37 AM, KONG said:

c++ is the preferred language due to  performance and already existing libraries and tools.

I'm totally agree with the fact that c++ has a nice performance ( is not better than C old-style, but it is great ), shouldn't pay attention into that unless there are some real performance issue.

These days having a performance issue is too fucking weird (yeah, it also depends on how bad the code can be written, and the language has nothing to do here).

Should be fine even using an old (5-8 years) or low quality machine.

So, the language should be the one you like.

22 hours ago, Rinor said:

if i want make a game as rpg 3D is it possible making it with c++ only coding by visual studio or i should real use one of the programs as unity/3dsmax etc.. ?

If you are planning to go crazy and expend your life on just a single game, of course you can write a whole 3D model by hand, even the whole game without using libraries or frameworks, textures, animation can also be written by hand =).
Otherwise using some tools like blender, 3Dmax, MAYA and so on will help you a lot, same for the game coding/logic.

21 hours ago, KONG said:

I suggest working on a 2D platformer first...

If you have no experience in the field, ^ this is a must, you should learn the basic by creating a simple game first (the common workflow).

BTW, a 2D game doesn't mean simple, it is just a bit less complex than any 3D ( of course, it would depends on the game design ).

Good luck =)

• Like 2

Discord: andresc