Angelix

Making a Server

So I want to know what are the minimum edits needed to make/open a server, like the basic things a players needs to be able to play on the server.

My files are heavily customized, yet I think I'm missing things a player might need. Please do note I'm not planning on opening a server right now nor it's planned to be a specific type of server (like easy, medium, hard nor full PK as some are), I just like making edits as to what a basic server might need. I'm using v2.X files, so some things were kinda screwed up or too overpowered.

So far I have these edits I can say:

• Newbie Chest: It has been made with minor adjustments from removing things like the unsealed level 70 armor, useless things like some emotes and such.
  • Amplifier System: Combined the EXP, drop, party EXP and fairy growth functions into one whole system where you can't use one if you're already under one with the same effect. The effect won't be removed after logging off, not even when server resets.
  • Stat Modifier: Being able to adjust class balances according to class, map or even both without directly modifying the base growth rates.
  • Chaos Argent: Customized to give rewards regarding the amount of unique/total players active in the map to promote more participation.
    • All Unique Gems were added to Expert Chests for a more equal supply to server.
  • Prison System: When a player is found cheating, the player will be sent to prison for an X amount of time and cannot leave since system will automatically sent the player back inside. The time penalty will not be removed upon logging off nor server reset.
  • Some quests were deleted that were useless and/or gave overpowered items.
    • Still in the process of removing more quests that are not story related.
  • Skills are now given through NPC and have no prior requirements except the class requirement, you may learn any skill at any level if it's your designated class.
  • Added the ability to activate or deactivate teleport from city/haven NPCs to cities/havens.

TO-DO:

• Maybe add a few daily quests related to mazes (FC/DS/DW) to provide gold to players.
  • Adjust some stats for unsealed equipment? Not sure if that's a bright idea.
  • Maybe add missing unsealed equipment for all level, like level 45 only having weapon and armor, maybe add boots and gloves.

I've been making edits on core functions that are not noticeable by players to make things easier and such, now I wanted to focus a bit more on the player side. :P

• Like 3

I think there is no minimum edits needed to open any server, all is according to the maker and how they want to shape their server :)

logo-big.png   logo.png

Sunny Go! Online                                                                    pko.host                                                 

3 hours ago, Shako said:

I think there is no minimum edits needed to open any server, all is according to the maker and how they want to shape their server :)

Well that's true, thanks! I'll keep searching to see if I can add anything else though. :P

7 hours ago, Angelix said:

TO-DO:

• Adjust some stats for unsealed equipment? Not sure if that's a bright idea.

I think its not a bad idea.
If you were to ask me, I'd probably say Moliyo devs were probably drunk when they were assigning item attributes
cap00004.jpg

• Like 6

kong.png

a2.png

12 hours ago, KONG said:

I think its not a bad idea.
If you were to ask me, I'd probably say Moliyo devs were probably drunk when they were assigning item attributes
cap00004.jpg

Now seeing the comparison between unseal and non-unseal, I do think it's necessary hahah. Never had I seen the that a piece from maze chest has more PR than the unseal, hahah.

Is this good for a better unseal? Using your image for comparison.

I placed those stats since it will slowly go up as the level of the unseal changes, for example: the level 55 unseal will have 24 PR, 7 main stat, 6 secondary stat, 7% Max SP, 70 DEF, 8% DEF, etc. Is that good or too much? I'm trying to make unseals stand out a bit more from chest equipment. Maybe the attributes are bit lower (5 - 4 from 6 - 6), but it should compensate from the other stat such ash HP/SP %, max HP/SP and a bit more defense and PR.

Trying to go on a scale for increasing stats on unseal from 45 up to 95, also creating missing items (such as boots and gloves for some classes and levels) and create a new set of unseal 85.

imageproxy.jpg

• Like 2

Personally, the servers which i played were mostly successful because they were simple. Servers like foxlv or Lost paradise online, didn't have a lot of mazes, which i think is a good thing. Servers who add a shit ton of mazes like the main mazes (fc/ds/dw/ca/bd) and like +7 more unique mazes, i think thats too much, since players get confused and simply ignore most of the unique mazes. 

The other thing i liked about ca in foxlv, that after CA ended, on top of the bar, on system. It showed which player killed the most players, which player died the most times etc.

That thing really encourages players to pk, where the stats actually matter. Same thing in LPO, there was a ranking for most kills in certain mazes, and those top players would get rewards.

So i think keeping a simple but medium/easy server is best, then after people get the hang of it, add more content, more lvl's, better EQ, better gems, pirata cup or smth and so on. 

And 1 more thing, personally, i don't like servers where you run sonic super fast, and you only have to have a good ping,fps and only fb's to catch them, i think thats retarded. Keeping it simple movespeed is normal, that is normal pk which i think people enjoy.

Edited by Jap
  • Like 1

samurai-jack-drinking-e1447236593610 - Copy.jpg

@Jap The Chaos Argent system from FoxLv was developed by me, including those things from unique/total players, kill streaks and I don't remember if at that time it also had the revenge thing where you got an extra honor point from that. Fun fact: It was developed and tested by me so I initially had it to open every hour for testing purposes and it stayed like that for a while, since Zankza only later on changed to every 4 or 6 hours since it was giving too many items, hahah.

• Like 1

So I finally after messing around and comparing stats with the level 40 equipment and making a scale up to level 95 unseals, I think this is a good choice which will make players choose unseals instead of the level 40 equipment from chests. Do you guys consider them good or too much? Hahah.

Using the equipment from level 40 and edited them to be unseal, hahah. Couldn't find anything more fitting to the current armor from unseal 45, either way, it will get fused so the original look won't matter much.

Lv45 Voyager Unseals.png

• Like 2

The PR on the voy armor may cause commotion amongst players

due to Champ/Crus's 45 armor having only 20 PR (i think). But this is already an improvement

The stats on both the glove and boot is also well picked, but Lv55's then must be edited as well

due to having +3/+3. Same as Lv50 chest. 
Overall, I think this is good for diversification, having to lose CA paw for more stats or
losing more stats for more movement speed. And if I remember, every SM,Champ,SS,Cleric will use CA paw
until BD boots? Which is abit dull and boring.

• Like 1

kong.png

a2.png

3 hours ago, KONG said:

The PR on the voy armor may cause commotion amongst players

due to Champ/Crus's 45 armor having only 20 PR (i think). But this is already an improvement

The stats on both the glove and boot is also well picked, but Lv55's then must be edited as well

due to having +3/+3. Same as Lv50 chest. 
Overall, I think this is good for diversification, having to lose CA paw for more stats or
losing more stats for more movement speed. And if I remember, every SM,Champ,SS,Cleric will use CA paw
until BD boots? Which is abit dull and boring.

I have edited/created all the unseals up to level 95. :P 

I'm planning on putting the same PR for all classes on the same level equipment. So every 45 unseal will 21 PR.

So far I have only done voyager, takes a bit of time finding missing equipment that most fitted and adjusting the values so they all appear on the red text like unseals.

Used an excel spreadsheet to put all values and see how to scale them properly per level and then went on setting them on ItemInfo.

Gloves - Voyager Unseals.PNGBoots - Voyager Unseals.PNG

Edited by Angelix
  • Like 4

While I love the idea behind this endeavour , i wouldn't suggest a linear progression in unseal power. For the simple reason that the effort to get them isn't linear.

Unseals lv 75 should have a considerable powerspike compared to lv 65 given the context in which they are awarded (assuming the server is vanilla-like).

I think a 25-33% overall higher stats would be the sweetspot.

Either that or something more innovative , like a direct interaction between the piece of gear and the skill of the class , for example a modest lowering of the cooldown of spirital bolt for Cleric/SM staff , a modest boost in the defensive power of the Energy Shield of the Cleric and so on.

It would enhance the value of the unseal and make them feel actually unique.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Maximilian said:

While I love the idea behind this endeavour , i wouldn't suggest a linear progression in unseal power. For the simple reason that the effort to get them isn't linear.

Unseals lv 75 should have a considerable powerspike compared to lv 65 given the context in which they are awarded (assuming the server is vanilla-like).

I think a 25-33% overall higher stats would be the sweetspot.

Either that or something more innovative , like a direct interaction between the piece of gear and the skill of the class , for example a modest lowering of the cooldown of spirital bolt for Cleric/SM staff , a modest boost in the defensive power of the Energy Shield of the Cleric and so on.

It would enhance the value of the unseal and make them feel actually unique.

I actually thought of that, since 75 require going through 70 frames and a shit load of farming on mirages/Abaddon, just didn't know how to put it properly and went ahead with a linear scale. Your idea of using it to enhance skills is great, the thing is, I can't put in the equipment "reduces X skill cool down by Y%" since ItemInfo doesn't allow that. I'll have to see if I adjust the stats and see what to do with 85/95. Thanks for the feedback! 

20 minutes ago, Angelix said:

I actually thought of that, since 75 require going through 70 frames and a shit load of farming on mirages/Abaddon, just didn't know how to put it properly and went ahead with a linear scale. Your idea of using it to enhance skills is great, the thing is, I can't put in the equipment "reduces X skill cool down by Y%" since ItemInfo doesn't allow that. I'll have to see if I adjust the stats and see what to do with 85/95. Thanks for the feedback! 

I don't exactly remember how , but arround 4 years ago when i still was developping this , i made a gem that added a 0.05 multiplier to the damage of magical class spells (conch thunder and the bolt) , i tested it and it worked flawlessly. I think the underlining concept is the same.

Just take as a guide the effects of the Black dragon set , which are coded in the skills , and make a function that modifies the skill when a particular item is equipped.

The only hurdle i see hard to overcome is making it work when the item is fused into an appareal , but there should be a way.

• Like 2

The item scaling depends on what server it is implemented. For example if its a vanilla server, low rates. You need to add powerspikes to lvl 75 and 85 as maxi sayd. But if its a medium rate server, the powerspikes doesn't need to be that big as in a vanilla server. Just all depends on what server you want to implement all this.

Btw, why aren't you like helping other servers with development, it would be cool to see all this talent going to a good use.

10 hours ago, Maximilian said:

I don't exactly remember how , but arround 4 years ago when i still was developping this , i made a gem that added a 0.05 multiplier to the damage of magical class spells (conch thunder and the bolt) , i tested it and it worked flawlessly. I think the underlining concept is the same.

Just take as a guide the effects of the Black dragon set , which are coded in the skills , and make a function that modifies the skill when a particular item is equipped.

The only hurdle i see hard to overcome is making it work when the item is fused into an appareal , but there should be a way.

Well if making a gem, then that could be forged on any level unseal, would useless to use it on armor so maybe boots or gloves would be fine. The thing is, I wanted something like a permanent effect on the set which players can notice, not have them farm more to obtain an effect that's specifically designed for that unseal. Adding the function/effect is no problem for me. I already have a function for level 45 unseals to grant an extra 5% drop when using full set only inside FC, same goes for DS, to motivate players using full set.

9 hours ago, Jap said:

The item scaling depends on what server it is implemented. For example if its a vanilla server, low rates. You need to add powerspikes to lvl 75 and 85 as maxi sayd. But if its a medium rate server, the powerspikes doesn't need to be that big as in a vanilla server. Just all depends on what server you want to implement all this.

Btw, why aren't you like helping other servers with development, it would be cool to see all this talent going to a good use.

Yes, it's not "vanilla" server, but rather a low pace server. Adding things from time to time as they make progress.

If I add the spike to 75, then that means I'll have to add it to 85 and 95 as well, since 85 and 95 unseal cannot be inferior to 75, so there's that to be considered.

I'll be actually glad if they do take the ideas, I mean, make a player feel they accomplished something when they actually get a high-end equipment through various steps (as 75) or very low drop rate (95) and feel they are getting somewhere. Not like servers out there farm 1,000 items for this or pay 500 USD for a 40 stat equipment, I mean, there's literally a kal runestone based server opening in these few days, really? Who does kal servers nowadays. So if they can improve, then I'll be glad and maybe play their servers. I mean, I literally tried to reach out to some people before and hand them out my "Rush" scripts to give them to test before I released them here and they'd give me feedback and they rejected the idea. So it's a help for them and me at the same time.

I'd like to open a server, I'm just too picky with all these modifications and trying to get smooth files whereas I can add new things by simply adding an additional line of code, not have to copy/paste a whole function, so I make something like I show here (simple functions). So that if I ever open a server, I won't have trouble fixing bugs or adding new things. Even found out things like this (additional mission trigger) to make new things.

9 hours ago, xSeth said:

are u gonna open srv based on top 1-2 ? x1-x2 rates ?

My files are based on v2.X, low rates with custom rates per class, map, hour and day. If I'm going to open? No, at least not anytime soon. I don't have time nor money to buy a host.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Angelix said:

Not like servers out there farm 1,000 items for this or pay 500 USD for a 40 stat equipment, I mean, there's literally a kal runestone based server opening in these few days, really? Who does kal servers nowadays.

Well sayd, SO many servers opened in november. And 98% of them died in the same month. Funny how those server gm's don't learn anything. Just take a look at different servers, figure out what the players want, learn the recipe. Look at successful servers, and WHY they are successful, take notes. Farm wood for kals, like cmon. Those servers which do 0 advertisment, make the server boring, too easy, abusable, lack of attention from gm's. I know sunny go is still going which is great. Zankzas pko is going. Wisdom pirates is doing alright. Roso as always and thats really it isn't it? kinda sad to see only few healthy servers.

Btw while we are talking about servers, i like to point out those people that go into a certain server, and just spam "dead server" in local chat or forum. Like i know u don't like the GM's or the server. BUT, the whole community is dying, why the hell you want to fasten the situation? Like let zankza have his vanilla server, atleast in the future we can still log into this main vanilla server which he preserved. I think we must keep atleast 1 vanilla server for a long time, in order to enjoy this game longer :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jap said:

Well sayd, SO many servers opened in november. And 98% of them died in the same month. Funny how those server gm's don't learn anything. Just take a look at different servers, figure out what the players want, learn the recipe. Look at successful servers, and WHY they are successful, take notes. Farm wood for kals, like cmon. Those servers which do 0 advertisment, make the server boring, too easy, abusable, lack of attention from gm's. I know sunny go is still going which is great. Zankzas pko is going. Wisdom pirates is doing alright. Roso as always and thats really it isn't it? kinda sad to see only few healthy servers.

Btw while we are talking about servers, i like to point out those people that go into a certain server, and just spam "dead server" in local chat or forum. Like i know u don't like the GM's or the server. BUT, the whole community is dying, why the hell you want to fasten the situation? Like let zankza have his vanilla server, atleast in the future we can still log into this main vanilla server which he preserved. I think we must keep atleast 1 vanilla server for a long time, in order to enjoy this game longer :)

I personally have an alt Facebook account just for ToP purposes and I'm in a lot of groups, I do see a lot of those comments, hahah.

Anyway, lets not get too off track here, but what you said is true, haha.

In files is that effect for full chaos set already but i think most of servers it's not working as it supposed to be. so i think its good idea to add kind of map effect when people with full uns 45 set in fc they get special effect and some glow and same as in ds and ca. but well ca set with normal starts is crap for mele classes.

btw. good luck on this project

Download: Nightmare Demonic Helm

Dimension Pirates Online files: get now

New map Project: Flag PK

Black Skin 3.1.3 for pko 1: Get now

31 minutes ago, Onioni said:

In files is that effect for full chaos set already but i think most of servers it's not working as it supposed to be. so i think its good idea to add kind of map effect when people with full uns 45 set in fc they get special effect and some glow and same as in ds and ca. but well ca set with normal starts is crap for mele classes.

btw. good luck on this project

No such things a glows will be implemented on the extra things, since there are many effects already in the server and there's a limit, since I can't edit the max number and I don't know how to edit the SC, so I will only add it as a secondary effect not shown to players.

The CA thing works, you just have to use full chaos equipment and be in the five ranks of the CA NPC.

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Angelix said:

No such things a glows will be implemented on the extra things, since there are many effects already in the server and there's a limit, since I can't edit the max number and I don't know how to edit the SC, so I will only add it as a secondary effect not shown to players.

The CA thing works, you just have to use full chaos equipment and be in the five ranks of the CA NPC.

Thanks! 

I'm sure it can be done with 1 effect line something like map['fc']  map['ds']  map['dw'] just add same effect in map but check for set so only right set in right map give the effect and well stat bonus u can customize per map still.

oh and like i said add that effect show only when people is in that map so if u have a lot effects in main maps already you don't get there any more

Edited by Onioni

Download: Nightmare Demonic Helm

Dimension Pirates Online files: get now

New map Project: Flag PK

Black Skin 3.1.3 for pko 1: Get now

12 hours ago, Angelix said:

Well if making a gem, then that could be forged on any level unseal, would useless to use it on armor so maybe boots or gloves would be fine. The thing is, I wanted something like a permanent effect on the set which players can notice, not have them farm more to obtain an effect that's specifically designed for that unseal. Adding the function/effect is no problem for me. I already have a function for level 45 unseals to grant an extra 5% drop when using full set only inside FC, same goes for DS, to motivate players using full set.

The gem thing was an example ,a proof of concept to apply the same to other goals , sorry if i confused you, the example you gave about a full set giving a drop bonus is even more apt ; now , instead to be a set effect it would be a single item effect.

This is obviously one simple idea , i always thought that the itemization in ToP was extremely flat and it doesn't allow for innovative and intricate builds. Part of that is undertandable , too much variety in a server could lead to situations in which something is extemely dominant and cannot be ballanced.

On 12/3/2016 at 9:48 PM, Onioni said:

I'm sure it can be done with 1 effect line something like map['fc']  map['ds']  map['dw'] just add same effect in map but check for set so only right set in right map give the effect and well stat bonus u can customize per map still.

oh and like i said add that effect show only when people is in that map so if u have a lot effects in main maps already you don't get there any more

Yes, the thing is, I'm trying to avoid using effects for everything, I eve removed the effects used on exp, drop, fairy and party amplifiers and used an alternative way for it.

17 hours ago, Maximilian said:

The gem thing was an example ,a proof of concept to apply the same to other goals , sorry if i confused you, the example you gave about a full set giving a drop bonus is even more apt ; now , instead to be a set effect it would be a single item effect.

This is obviously one simple idea , i always thought that the itemization in ToP was extremely flat and it doesn't allow for innovative and intricate builds. Part of that is undertandable , too much variety in a server could lead to situations in which something is extemely dominant and cannot be ballanced.

I'll be considering that, maybe more or less, apply a bit more stats according to level and difficulty of gathering the items, if that seems a bit off then apply a secondary effect. Yes, the item creation in files is a bit weird, hahah.

What do you guys think of these? Weapon balancing/editing is a bit harder to think through, hahah.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Angelix
  • Like 2