Angelix

Matt's Game Mode Ideas

I was looking through ServerDev Archives and found cool ideas/suggestions from a great developer, Matt. He never released scripts on these ideas, just pure concepts and additional ideas, I'll post them here to see if anyone has the time/will to make them. =P

Spoiler

Game Mode: Survivor

Description: A set of players are fighting in cooperative mode to handle progressive 'waves' of monsters. The idea is not to kill them all but to survive for a given 'duration' to each wave. The map can be split into two zones (players participating and players just being spectators). Everybody that dies is sent out of the arena (back to spectator zone) and cannot be resurrected. Each wave grants rewards. The main idea is that the wave content and duration and amount is really configurable, this way you can always add new waves when players are managing them all, or increasing complexity. A good survivor game is a game to which none survive.

Additional Options: None.

Spoiler

Game Mode: Guild Race

Description: It consist of 3 zones (first guild, second guild and spectator zone), each guild zone holds a group which is facing waves of 'monsters'. When a wave is down, the next one starts immediately for the team that took the wave down. The winner group is the group having defeated all its waves.

Additional Options:

• Overwhelming: Every time one side killed its wave, it starts up the new wave on both guild zones. The side already late will then have to face 2 waves at the same time (this should be done with a wave content a bit weaker than on first mode).
  • Intruder: At random time, a portal appear on each side, allowing 1 member to get to the other side (pk mode on). Once he entered the portal, the portal closes and once he dies, he is out.
  • Dead is Dead: In normal mode, dead people can be revived by the team. In this mode, when you are dead, you are dead, end of the story.
  • Do it while you can: A timer is counting backward until the next monster's buff. The longer it takes, the harder it gets. When timer reaches zero, it starts over.
  • OMG: Every X seconds, a squid of random color is summoned in each side's arena. Those squids are stupid mobs running randomly at extreme speed in the area. They also have ridiculous life amount. When one squid is killed you get what you deserved!
    • Yellow Squid: Opponent side (all members) gets stunned for 3 seconds.
    • Green Squid: Completely fill all your teammate's HP.
    • Pink Squid: This squid turns into a death squid (maybe refers to those on Eternal Abaddon?).
    • Blue Squid: Increases your teammate's attack speed.
    • Grey Squid: Increases time (available for "do it while you can" mode).
    • Brown Squid: Decreases time (available for "do it while you can" mode).
    • White Squid: Blank out all the squids in both zones.
    • Black Squid: Blank out all the squids in both zones, but applies their effects.

Spoiler

Game Mode: You are it!

Description: Played in open field, that game is quite known by us all. Out of all members, one is picked randomly to be "it". Players are accumulating points every 'tick' based on their distance toward "it". The closest you stand, the more points you get, but beware, the first melee hit from "it" and you are it in spite of him (and get stunned for 3 seconds so that he can escape)!

Additional Options:

• We are it!: If you get caught, then you are "it", making it 2 of you (then 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and so on).
  • Tactical: "It" is granted a set of 99 snail-freeze-trap. He can put those traps on the floors and they will grant a "permanent" and visible slow zone effect.

Spoiler

Game Mode: Hide and Sneak

Description: The game room is small and filled up with a set of deadly monsters (the kind you don't want to face even if you were a real warrior). When the game starts up, all players are granted 99 show-your-rat-face and they are as well granted unlimited stealth. Those items can be used with a nice range, and they would as well reveal all players "close" to where it lands, leading surrounding deadly monsters to pawn your ass badly. The purpose is to get all the others revealed while sneaking your way past the monsters (indeed classical AoE /TS would be inefficient or that wouldn't be fun).

Additional Options:

• I see dead people: Every 30 seconds all monsters are stunned for 5 seconds, players are unable to use show-your-rat-face for 5 seconds and all players are made visible for 3 seconds.
  • Don't walk on the grass!: Some random areas are appearing on the ground. Everyone in those area is made visible until he gets out.

Spoiler

Game Mode: Turn, turn, turn around...

Description:  Small room, nothing fancy, but few obstacles here and there. All players are friendly talking with each other when suddenly a lovely pink squid is appearing. A red count down appears on the screen giving out 3 seconds for all players to get as close of possible to the cute pink squid! The one standing the further from the squid after the count down get burnt down. Sometime, the squid is blueish and the means you should get as far as possible. Anyway, in the end, only one can stand.

Additional Options:

• Brain Washing: Make them pop several at once with a longer count down and let them guess how to be as far as possible from all blue and closest as possible from all pink and eliminate the worst.
  • What could I do: When a black squid appears, the players have until the end of countdown to do whatever they want. Following that, they will be stunned until next squid appears.

These are his ideas that were found in archives, I'm sure they are more somewhere in his replies throughout ServerDev and should be interesting to try them out. If anyone does develop these, please share. :P

Edited by Angelix
  • Like 1

i think for game mode is good to make PvE like dungeon raid system,intances.

for PvP i think we have enuf (ca,dw,fc,ds,pkmap,bh, etc...)

ofc we need to make new ai for dungeons/intances to make them more challenges

Interesting...has anyone ever done any of these mods? Where's it?

If not, if I make the code, is someone willing to create the map?

“So the problem is not so much to see what nobody has yet seen, as to think what nobody has yet thought concerning that which everybody sees.”

― Arthur Schopenhauer

3 minutes ago, Methz said:

Interesting...has anyone ever done any of these mods? Where's it?

If not, if I make the code, is someone willing to create the map?

Doubt someone will just publish scripts to something like this, very few people have done that regarding their own scripts. 

I gave it a go on the survivor, used a map already created by Matt that is in the public releases already. Instead of creating several monsters in CharacterInfo, I tried summoning monsters with modified attributes on a player basis. No luck so far. 

If you're interested in creating the script, just start off with the basics. Decide whether it will be a single instance or multiple instances at a time. Then go with making rounds, maybe add a timer to the rounds or an overall timer to the whole game mode. The map creation or usage can be decided at the end. 

31 minutes ago, Angelix said:

Doubt someone will just publish scripts to something like this, very few people have done that regarding their own scripts. 

I gave it a go on the survivor, used a map already created by Matt that is in the public releases already. Instead of creating several monsters in CharacterInfo, I tried summoning monsters with modified attributes on a player basis. No luck so far. 

If you're interested in creating the script, just start off with the basics. Decide whether it will be a single instance or multiple instances at a time. Then go with making rounds, maybe add a timer to the rounds or an overall timer to the whole game mode. The map creation or usage can be decided at the end. 

Why not share? "I do not understand" that kind of person. Most people here, including me, only know what they know today because people in the past, like Sapec0, Matt, Momo, Zank, Danny and so on, shared and came forward to help. 

I see that few today are the ones who help beginners (there are several unanswered topics here), those who share really interesting things, the ones that are not selfish. Of course, I understand that some features are unique to the server and if it's online, obviously it should not be shared, but if you did something cool and you're not using it, why not reciprocate all the help you had?

I came back a week ago after staying three years without getting involved with ToP and development, and saw a new world! Several things were created and shared, I really enjoyed it, but we need more. Given this development that ToP had, I can not promise several original projects, in fact, I need to learn a lot yet, but if I do, I will certainly share, as a way of thanking everyone who helped me.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the tip. When I start to work on it I'll let you know, if you want.

“So the problem is not so much to see what nobody has yet seen, as to think what nobody has yet thought concerning that which everybody sees.”

― Arthur Schopenhauer

3 minutes ago, Methz said:

Why not share? "I do not understand" that kind of person. Most people here, including me, only know what they know today because people in the past, like Sapec0, Matt, Momo, Zank, Danny and so on, shared and came forward to help. 

I see that few today are the ones who help beginners (there are several unanswered topics here), those who share really interesting things, the ones that are not selfish. Of course, I understand that some features are unique to the server and if it's online, obviously it should not be shared, but if you did something cool and you're not using it, why not reciprocate all the help you had?

I came back a week ago after staying three years without getting involved with ToP and development, and saw a new world! Several things were created and shared, I really enjoyed it, but we need more. Given this development that ToP had, I can not promise several original projects, in fact, I need to learn a lot yet, but if I do, I will certainly share, as a way of thanking everyone who helped me.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the tip. When I start to work on it I'll let you know, if you want.

I am from ServerDev and from what I have learned; I have shared guides, scripts, helped people and even made a new game mode and shared it here. 

There are great ideas, scripts and tools that go without sight and are not developed further, you just have to dig through threads in question section here and on ServerDev archives. 

I'd love to see some of these being done, so if you do one, at least share a video of it working properly. :P

5 minutes ago, Angelix said:

I am from ServerDev and from what I have learned; I have shared guides, scripts, helped people and even made a new game mode and shared it here. 

There are great ideas, scripts and tools that go without sight and are not developed further, you just have to dig through threads in question section here and on ServerDev archives. 

I'd love to see some of these being done, so if you do one, at least share a video of it working properly. :P

Yes, I see that you have helped and shared a lot, congratulations (and tnx)! Keep it up, haha.

I am searching for these hidden treasures and gathering as much information and useful material as possible to begin development. What happened to ServerDev and how can I access it?

No problem, I will.

― Arthur Schopenhauer

1 hour ago, Snre3n said:

@Methz

You can access Serverdev here:

Thank you so much :3

― Arthur Schopenhauer